Changes in quantities and amounts are like movements up and down. People think of large quantities as being in a high position and small quantities as being in a low position.
- Temperatures are very high here in summer.
- Profits were up on the previous year's figures.
- There has been a sharp rise in the number of unemployed.
- Prices soared after the strike.
- The news gave a boost to the economy.
- The population peaked at 5.5 million.
- The rate of inflation is very low.
- Output was down.
- Profits fell last year.
- The temperature dropped sharply.
- The economy is in freefall.
- Car imports plummeted in value.
- We discussed the level of unemployment.
- The average mark hovers around 54%.
Large quantities of something are like large amounts of water or rain, and small quantities are like small amounts of water.