Being honest and moral is like being in a high position. Being dishonest and immoral is like being low down.
Honesty and truth are like straight lines that go straight up or along. Dishonesty and lying are like twisted or sloping lines.
- She’s completely straight: I’d trust her anywhere.
- He kept to the straight and narrow after his release from prison.
- Are they on the level? Can we trust them?
- I need to level with you: I can’t pretend that things are OK.
- It was a bad business, involving some crooked dealers.
- It’s not true: you’re twisting the facts.
- The newspapers have put their own spin/slant on what has happened.
- They were accused of bias in their reporting.
- We were presented with a very warped/distorted version of the truth.