What are red words?
90% of the time, speakers of English use just 7,500 words in speech and writing.These words appear in red, and are graded with stars. One-star words are frequent, two-star words are morefrequent, and three-star words are the most frequent.
- 1[intransitive/transitive] to give someone support or information so that they can do something more easily
If you are finding that difficult, I could help you.
Mary was anxious to help.help someone (to) do something:
Can you help me find my glasses?help someone with something:
Her brother offered to help her with her homework.help someone through something:
They helped me through a very difficult time.
- 4[intransitive/transitive] to make a situation better
More police officers on the streets would help.
Organic farming methods help the environment.
cannot/can't help something
help yourself to somethinginformal
- You can rely on their support.
- You can always lean on me.
- I need someone to hold my hand – I can't do it on my own.
- I need a shoulder to cry on.
- Let me lend a hand.
- They gave me a helping hand/a leg-up.
- She put her life in their hands.
- The government stepped in to prop/shore up the fishing industry.
- They made some constructive comments/suggestions.
- She's a pillar of the community.
This is the British English definition of help. View American English definition of help