Relationships between people or groups are like physical connections. Having a good relationship is like being joined to the other person or group, and ending a relationship is like breaking this connection.
- We have been close friends since we were five.
- We were inseparable as children.
- The very first time that they met, they bonded immediately.
- I was very attached to him.
- The school encourages links between students and local businesses.
- He was left some money by a distant relative.
- Cracks appeared in the relationship.
- There was a growing rift between president and vice-president.
- The book describes the deep divisions within the government.
- The party was torn apart.
- She had just split/broken up with her boyfriend.
- My parents separated when I was very young.
When you improve a bad relationship, it is as if you have fixed or repaired something that is broken.