Having power and controlling someone is like being in a higher position than them. Not having power is like being low down.
- They have no power/control over their staff.
- She ruled over the empire for many years.
- He remained at the top for ten years, until his retirement.
- They have come out on top yet again.
- She holds the highest position in the company.
- There are many staff under her.
- How many people are there above you?
- I began my career as a lowly office worker.
- Don’t let them walk all over you.
- the upper/lower classes
- They were downtrodden and oppressed.
- She’s completely under his thumb.
Having power and control is like holding someone or something, or like driving a vehicle or controlling an animal.