Your sense of your self or your own identity is like a space which belongs only to you, and which has boundaries. When people want too much from you or are interfering in your life, you feel as if they are crossing these boundaries, or as if you do not have enough space.
- I'm someone who needs a lot of personal space.
- A healthy relationship involves respecting each other's boundaries.
- Don't crowd her, she needs some time to herself.
- She knew she had overstepped the limits of their friendship.
- I felt stifled/suffocated in that relationship and knew I had to get out.
- He had broken down the barriers between them.
- Slowly he wore down her defences.
- You must give me more room to breathe.
- As soon as someone gets too close, he backs away.
- Could you make room in your life for a child who needs love?
- Four years after the divorce, I was ready to let someone into my life again.
- Every time I mention her father she just closes up.
You sometimes think of your own self as a separate person, especially at times when you are very emotional, ill, uncertain, or busy.
- I often lose myself in my work.
- She was beside herself with grief.
- I'm sorry if I was rude: I'm not myself today.
- Why don't you let yourself go a little?
- After struggling with himself for days, he finally went to the police.
- Yoga is an opportunity to get in touch with yourself.
- You need to find your inner child.
- Joanne doesn't let many people see her real self.
- He went to India to find himself.
- Many people feel lost when they first leave home.