Being honest and moral is like being in a high position. Being dishonest and immoral is like being low down.
- She has very high/low standards.
- The president took the moral high ground.
- They are upright, law-abiding people.
- They are fine, upstanding citizens.
- She had lofty ideals.
- He was above such small-minded prejudice.
- I never thought he'd stoop to that.
- It was a very low/underhanded trick.
- He's just a mean and lowdown cheat.
Honesty and truth are like straight lines that go straight up or along. Dishonesty and lying are like twisted or sloping lines.
She's completely straight – I'd trust her anywhere.
♦ He kept to the straight and narrow after his release from prison.
♦ Are they on the level? Can we trust them?
♦ I need to level with you – I can't pretend that things are OK.
♦ It was a bad business, involving some crooked dealers.
♦ It's not true – you're twisting the facts.
♦ The newspapers have put their own spin/slant on what has happened.
♦ They were accused of bias in their reporting.
♦ We were presented with a very warped/distorted version of the truth.